Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sprouted Soup For The Dead


There is a huge celebration in Fredy's hometown. It is called Dia De Los Muertos (day of the dead) and is a mix of Halloween and Memorial Day with a dash of Mexican chispa. Fredy tells me that families gather together and have a picnic in the cemetary. They cook the favorite meals of their loved ones who have passed on and the whole family sits and eats together with the dead.
I have wanted to do this ever since I heard. Last Saturday was the day. I took the leftover sprouted wheat (from the fermented rejuvelac I had made) and turned it into a soup. Then I packed it up, drove to the cemetary, and ate it with my brother and grandmother. There I sat on the earth between the two, watching the sun set, eating my soup, and talking to 2 of the people I love most.
So I offer you my sprouted wheat soup recipe in honor of Charlie and Grandma. On their shoulders I stand.

Sprouted Wheat Soup
5 cups water
1 large bunch collard greens, stems removed, chop leaves into strips, stems diced
1 large onion
2 small carrots
1 Tbsp. olive oil or ghee
1 cup wheat sprouts
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. dried herbs (I had basil, thyme, and oregano)
2 tsp. miso
1 Tbsp. Bragg's aminos
(I also threw in a dash of garlic salt and topped it with hot sauce because I love pungent hot sauce and I live with a Mexican. Oh, and my brother likes hot, punget things and this was for him, too. You could leave these things out if you eat more purely than I do.)

I boiled the water and then turned off the heat. I didn't want to boil the miso, sprouts, or greens. In a skillet, saute onion and carrot in oil until soft. Add cooked onion mixture, collards stems and leaves into the pan with other ingredients except miso. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Put soup in your bowl and stir in 1 tsp. miso. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment