Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ad Hoc Minestrone in 2 bowls




Homemade minestrone soup. The photos are from the second night when we had leftovers. The initial soup was much more red and green with dark spinach. I find that, even eating leftovers, I never eat the same meal twice. The ingredients change, I change, the world changes. We never eat the same meal twice.

Improvised minestrone recipe (improvise your own)

In a 5 quart stock pot I combined:
6 cups liquid (I used tomato broth given to me by my friend Elizabeth in the summer with garden fresh tomatos and spicy yellow peppers. It had been sitting in my freezer for just such a cold day. I added a cup of water and some diced tomato.)
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 small carrots, chopped
1 yellow potato, chopped
1 carton button mushrooms, chopped
1/3 bunch of parsley, you guessed it, chopped
1 tsp. herbs de provence
fresh ground pepper and sea salt
Bring this to a boil, and then simmer 15 minutes. Then, I added:
1 can white beans (I used the kidney beans to make dip earlier that day)
3/4 cup whole wheat pasta
1 tsp. basil
Let simmer anohter 15 minutes. Then, add 1 huge bunch of spinach, stems removed and give a good stir. I don't like my greens cooked too long.

That's it. Soup. So delicious. All the different ingredients settle their differences in the pot so it is easy for your stomach to digest! Serve with toasted Ezekial bread topped with Earth Balance butter. I LOVE SOUP.

No comments:

Post a Comment