Saturday, February 26, 2011

Immunity Boosting Potato Soup


So... I wanted to clean out the fridge and I had some potatoes, onion, and broccoli. I thought a little, searched a little, and came up with this delicious, creamy soup. It can be made vegan super easy although mine was not. (I was also using up what was in my pantry). Try this yummy winter dinner.


1 Tbsp. ghee (for vegan use olive oil)

1 yellow onion, diced

2 red potatoes

2 yukon gold potatoes

2 Tbsp. dried parsley (or herb of choice)

2 cups water

2 cups organic chicken broth (for vegan use veggie broth)

dash of salt

pinch of fresh ground black pepper

broccoli

Sautee onion in ghee until it is fragrant and soft (about 5-10 minutes). Add diced potatoes and sautee another 5 minutes. Add broth and water. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer. Add seasonings. (I just thought red pepper flakes would be yummy and warming). Simmer 20 minutes. Puree in batches. At the very end, add chopped broccoli. I didn't want to cook the broccoli too much and end up with mushy, gray looking stuff. I also didn't want to dice it all up and make a mess so I left long pieces in. This is personal preference. I served mine with left over corn muffins (had chili on Sunday) but it is really good on its own or with toast.


*Note: red potatoes are great for building the kidneys. Onions prevent all kinds of disease. And everyone needs to eat more green foods. I found recipes that called for flour or cream or butter, but this soup turns out super creamy and comforting without any of that junk. *

1 comment:

  1. As with cooking, as with life ...make the best with what you have and enjoy1

    ReplyDelete