Monday, October 11, 2010

Turning Into A Punkin... or How I Was Squash-ed











My mom's pet name for my brothers and I (when we were younger, of course) was Punkin. When she adopted her first dog, an adorable black and white shih tzu, she passed the name onto him. So, in honor of pumpkins...er, punkins, everywhere, my post:








Curry Pumpkin Soup




Saute 1 finely diced onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic in olive oil until they become translucent and fragrant. Add to that 1 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. curry, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne. ( The recipe I was using called for 1 tsp. cayenne. Wow! You know you've gone too far when guests start needing tissues and even your faithful Mexican can't stomach it. 1/8 -1/4 tsp would be just fine). Add 2 apples, pureed (or you could probably throw in a cup of applesauce instead), 1 cup of canned pumpkin (I know, I know. Canned. I did oven roast my own pumpkin last October, but I worked a full 9 hours today.) 2 cups of water or broth, and 1 tsp. organic dark brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes. Enjoy with a crust of French bread.








I also made some delicious pumpkin muffins. I think I put in too many ingredients (one of them being canola oil) so I'll try again and post the revised recipe. Now, just make it home before midnight, or, you know what!

1 comment:

  1. The pumpkin muffins WERE delicious. So many fun textures.

    ReplyDelete