Sunday, October 10, 2010

October Chicken Soup


It seems odd that I would start out my blog with a meat-based recipe. I like to follow a diet based on plants. However, I also like to follow my intuition. This week the weather got colder, I got sleep deprived and stressed and a bug hit. My intuition told me to eat chicken soup and lots of it. So I obeyed. It turned out to be delicious and healing.

First I sauteed about 6 ribs of celery, 1 onion, 3 carrots, 5 cloves of garlic, and 2 chili peppers in a little unrefined untoasted sesame oil. Next I added a small chicken (of the antibiotic-free, free range variety) and covered with water. I brought it to a boil, threw in 2 lemons, 3 bayleaves, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 2 teaspoons of herbs de provence. After simmering for an hour and 20 minutes I removed the lemon, bayleaves, peppers and discarded. I removed the chicken, shredded the meat, fed a few pieces to my very grateful dog, and added them back to the pot along with some pre-cooked brown rice. Serve warm with a squeeze of lime. Taste the healing power! Welcome, fall.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful soup! Your blog is both healthful and intuitive. I plan to be a faithful follower.

    ReplyDelete